Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Carving Pumpkins Makes for Yummy Snacks









Last night was pumpkin carving night. Todd had gone online and found the perfect picture to carve...Shrek of course! The kids were so excited, at least for a while anyway. Todd brought the picture home. I cut it out and traced it onto the pumpkin while Todd got the kitchen table covered in paper and the correct tools for the job. By the way, next year we will cover the floor in paper as well. What a mess!
Everything was going well until the top came off with all the hanging "guts" and seeds. That was it for Ryann. She was over it. Out to the living room for a Pooh Halloween movie she went. I have to admit, I don't blame her. I only remember attempting to carve one pumpkin in my life and the gross insides and smell of it was enough to end that tradition for me.
That left Judson and Todd as the men for the job. Todd got out his Dremel drill and went to town while Judson insisted he needed his hat and gloves to assist. I'm not sure the logic there, but we went with it. It took about 45 minutes for the creation of the masterpiece. Meanwhile I separated and washed the seeds for my first attempt at roasting them. When the carving was complete and the candle was lit we all stood back and admired Todd's handiwork. Before we took him outside I sprinkled cinnamon and nutmeg on the inside of the pumpkin. Let me tell you it not only looks good, it smells awesome too. Our first pumpkin carving was a success!
Oh, and my first attempt at roasting pumpkin seeds was a success as well. We ALL love them (even Judson)!
Happy Halloween!!

No comments: