


This is a long one. You have been warned.
A few weeks ago I had my 31st birthday. I was very surprised by a gift from my husband and parents with a ticket to Seatlle to visit my brother Michael and to help him celebrate his 30th birthday. I was given a few weeks notice so that I would have time to line up baby-sitters for the kids and get things in order around here for the control freak that I am.
I am always anxious when I have to fly. The flying part doesn't exactly scare me, it's the part where I have to work my way through an unfamiliar airport and make sure I'm at the right place at the right time. It always works out just fine and ends up being an easy process, but the anxiety is always there. This trip was no different. On Thursday the 2nd, after successfully making through check-in, security and my favorite part of flying, the purchase and consumption of a cinnabon, my plane took off, on time, at 8:45 a.m. I had a 4 hour lay-over in Minneapolis so my Uncle Dan and Aunt Linda were kind enough to pick me up and take me out for a wonderufl lunch. I hadn't seen them since before their 2 year stay in China so it was so nice to get to catch up on what everyone is up to. It was a short visit, but I loved every minute of it.
Dan and Linda had an appointment they had to get to after lunch so my Uncle Dave picked me up and drove me the 10 minutes back to the airport. He's a professor in the cities so and happens to have class on Thursdays so it worked out perfectly. I would have loved to have seen him for longer, but that's just how things worked out and I'm just happy I got to see him at all. Thanks Dan, Linda and Dave for everything! I love you guys!!
I arrived in Seattle 15 minutes early and after being shocked to see my suitcase 3rd in line out of the luggage drop I hopped in Mikes car and my vacation began!
We drove to the house and was introduced to Travis, Mike's roommate, Steve, Mikes hound and TO, Travis' giant golden retriever. After all the greetings Mike and I ran out to dinner then relaxed at home for the remainder of the night.
Friday was Michael's birthday. We spent the day doing some touristy things. We started off going to a record/music store Michael likes. Then went to the market with the famous fish throwing Pike's, and walked through all the little shops along the streets. I saw the first Starbucks ever. Of course I'm not a coffee drinker, but it was still cool to see. There were all kinds of little food shops and produce stands with street musicians trying to earn a buck. I think I could have spent all my money on pastris alone. Yummy!
Friday night we met up with more of Mike's friends for an intense round of Pictionary before heading out to a local bar for some fun. All of Mike's friends are great. We had a lot of fun helping Michael wave good-bye to his 20's and join the rest of us in the 30's club.
Saturday was spent being lazy at the house. We slept in, ate, watched movies, ate some more and watched more movies. It was just a nice relaxing Saturday at home.
Sunday was another site-seeing day. We started at the Space Needle, but both Mike and I got the "frugal" gene so neither of us thought it was worth it to spend the money to go to the top, especially since I'm not a huge fan of heights. We took plenty of pictures and bought a few things from the gift store. Later we caught a ferry and got a great view of the skyline. We spent the afternoon on an island with more little shops, drove around looking the scenery (aren't you proud dad?) and even walked on the beach for a while. We got home early evening and Travis cooked us a great dinner.
Michael had to work Monday so I spent the day lounging with the dogs, making a crock-pot of tortilla soup and watching an all day cake decorating show marathon. By the time the guys got home there was enough time to get a bowl of soup and then cozy up for Monday night football between the Vikings and the Saints (I think). All I know is that the Viking's won so it was a good night.
Tuesday was my early morning flight back to Charlotte. It was a long day and as much as I loved being with Mike I was happy to be going back to Todd and my babies.
Thanks Mike for such a fun visit, full of memories. I love you!!






No comments:
Post a Comment