The trip is always the hardest part for everyone. The kids were so excited to get there they could hardly contain themselves. We weren't on the road 10 minutes before the first question of "are we there yet?" was muttered. I looked at Todd and we both said "this is going to be a long trip". We were fortunate that the traffic wasn't as bad as we were anticipating. We got to Bobby and Kathey's around dinner time on Friday night. Auntie Shelly pulled in right behind us. Papa was there in his red suspenders and Santa hat to greet us as we piled out of the van. As usual, the kids gave hugs and kisses to everyone before heading straight upstairs to the playroom. After dinner the kids were allowed to shake some of the gifts under the tree and talk of Santa's arrival began. I never did Santa growing up, but it is big stuff in the Sloan family and the kids love every minute of it.
Saturday Todd and I let Nana, Papa and Shelly keep the kids for us while we celebrated an early anniversary. It's not actually until the 6th of January, but most years we're partied out and broke by the time it rolls around that not much is done. This year we decided to make it a priority, and I'm so glad we did. We had a great day of getting some last minute Christmas gifts, taking in a movie and having a late dinner. I also got to spend the Christmas money I get from Papa. Guilt free shopping,Yippy! Thanks Bobby! We spent the night in a hotel and took advantage of getting to sleep in. It was great and I hope to make it another yearly tradition.
Sunday was spent getting ready for some of Bobby and Kathey's friends to join us for appetizers and the children's Christmas program at their church. We made a birthday cake for Jesus and let the kids ice it and put on the candles. After the program we took the kids outside to sprinkle "reindeer food" on the grass and listen for Santa's sleigh. The kids would call out "Santa ring your bells" and I was around the corner and would shake some jingle bells and they would get so excited! Then we went in, put out the stockings and some milk and cookies for Santa before putting them to bed.
The next morning, (7:15, I can't complain), the kids were up and ready to go! They had a great time opening their gifts, emptying their stockings and then "helping" the rest of us with ours. They spent the rest of the day trying out everything they got. A harmonica and a fairy outfit were the biggest hits, but they also LOVED all the puzzles, games, books and toys they got. It was a little overwhelming, but they managed just fine. We finished the night with a wonderful ham dinner and a quiet evening in front of the fireplace. It couldn't have been better.
Wednesday we completed loaded down the back of the van and headed for home. Like I said, it was another great Christmas full of memories we'll cherish forever.
Thanks Nana and Papa Sloan!! We love you!

No comments:
Post a Comment