

It's Judson's 6th birthday today. While drifting off to sleep last night I tried to think back to what I was doing and thinking the night before I was to be induced and how the day of delivery went. I remember the night before Todd slept in our extra room so I could get as much sleep as possible, and that because of my very uncomfortable "pregnancy rash" I was up by 4:00 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep. I remember I cleaned the bathtub that morning and watched reruns of Family Ties while waiting to wake Todd up so we could get on our way to the hospital. I remember what I wore and being nervous, but so excited. I remember getting induced and then a couple hours later hearing a baby crying from the next room and being so anxious to hear the sound of Judson's first cry. I remember mom getting there in her black and white polka-dot dress. I remember my back hurting so bad and holding my breath with each contraction. Exactly what you're not supposed to do. I remember watching the news and seeing that Elizabeth Smart had been found that day after being kidnapped 9 months earlier and thinking what a miracle that was. I remember the relief after getting my epidural. Ahhh. I remember getting ready to push and hoping that dad and Lisa would get there in time, and being so glad when Lisa walked through the door. I remember Todd holding my hand and rubbing my leg. I also remember Todd starting to rub my head through a contraction and pushing and afterwards telling him "Honey I love you, but you cannot rub my head." Something about that drove me nuts. I remember pushing for 50 minutes and by the end having my nurse on a chair beside the bed pushing on my belly from the top to help Judson along. I didn't know it at the time, but his shoulder was stuck. I remember as soon as he came out I broke down into tears and Lisa being scared that something was wrong. I remember thinking how strange it was that this baby, only a few seconds ago, was inside me. I remember I couldn't believe how big he was. 8 pounds, 14 ounces, but loved that he was chubby and had all that dark hair. I remember Todd calling our friends and family and one of his friends telling him that Judson must be the milkman's baby because Todd could never have a baby that big. :) I remember Judson having his eyes closed and as soon as they gave him back to me I said hi and he opened them for the first time. It was amazing. I remember my dad finally coming in after everything was put back in place and all cleaned up and him calling Judson "Juddy" and it stuck. He's still called "Juddy". What a miracle. Six years later and I'm brought to tears just...remembering.
No comments:
Post a Comment