Monday, November 29, 2010

Early Anniversary at the Biltmore






Todd and I spent the weekend in Asheville, NC enjoying an early anniversary getaway. We arrived early Saturday afternoon. After checking into our hotel, the DoubleTree, we headed to the Biltmore estate. We were scheduled for a candlelight tour that evening so we spent the afternoon and early evening touring some of the grounds, the winery, farm and barnyard, and several little shops on the grounds. It was a very chilly day, but we enjoyed it so much.
After dinner that night we headed back to the estate for our tour of the house. It was absolutely amazing! The house was completely decked out in Christmas decorations, a choir was singing carols in the "winter garden" and there were trees dripping with lights and ornaments everywhere you looked. In the dining room there was a massive, real, 40 foot tree covered in gigantic ornaments and full sized wrapped gifts hanging from it's branches. It was breathtaking. I just could have cried when I saw it. Beautiful! For a Christmas nut, such as myself, it was perfect!
Sunday morning we headed back to the house for a daytime audio tour. It was so interesting to hear all the back stories and history of the home and people who lived there. I can't imagine growing up in a place like that. Or the parties that had to have been thrown there. It must have been just like a movie. Everyone in their fancy gowns and tuxes. So cool!
Before heading home I stopped in at one of the gift shops and was able to buy a glass ornament in the shape of Biltmore house, just like the ones I collect. It was perfect. I will always remember this trip and how we celebrated our 10 year anniversary together. Thanks Bobby and Kathey for making it possible and mom and dad for watching the kiddos so we could go. Love you all, and love you Todd!

No comments: