Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Judson's Hospital Visit

As I wrote in the previous post, Judson ended up in the hospital this past weekend. He spent all day Friday sleeping, only waking up to throw up and then back to sleep. By Saturday morning he was looking pretty bad so I took him to the ER. They started him on an IV to get some fluids in him. After a couple of hours there they told me they thought he should be admitted overnight for observation and to continue giving him fluids for dehydration. By mid-afternoon we were transported by ambulance from Pineville CMC to the Levine Children's hospital downtown. Because of low blood-sugar levels in Pineville they had to take blood. Not fun at all. Poor Judson. He's little, but he can really put up a fight when he's scared. This testing showed his levels to be really high so they changed out his fluids and had to take blood a few more times during the evening. He wasn't allowed to eat any solid foods, but was so hungry. He hadn't eaten anything since Thursday's dinner. This really upset him, but there was nothing I could do but beg him to eat Jello and popsicles. On a normal day that would have been awesome, only jello and popsicles, but he wanted Wendy's. He kept asking for it over and over and begging me to ask the doctor if he could please have Wendy's. It was so hard to say no when I knew he was so hungry.
That night was really rough. Todd and the kids, and my parents came to visit for awhile. After running down to the hospital cafeteria and grabbing a quick dinner everyone went home and Judson and I settled in for the night. Judson finally fell asleep around 9:00 or so, but I was too wired to sleep. I watched a movie on their cool TV's (the TV's had internet, movies, video games and more) and then around 11:00 called my brother Michael in Seattle since I figured he would be the only one I wouldn't wake up. I finally fell asleep around midnight. Shortly after we were woken up by a nurse needing to check or change something. Back to sleep until around 4:00 when Judson woke up. He was looking really good, wanted something to eat and talking about how cool the bed was and asking to watch a movie. I guess all his sleep had caught up with him and he was starting to feel better. We watched a movie for awhile. Around 5:00 his IV started beeping. His nurse tried and tried to get it to work, but we ended up having to go to a treatment room to have his IV changed from one little arm to the next. Ugh! When we got that over with and back to the room Judson was understandably upset. It took quite a while to get him calmed down and back to sleep. By this time it was probably between 5:30 and 6:00. By 6:30 another nurse came in to take more blood. Like I said before...rough night.
Sunday morning Judson was looking a lot better. After some begging they finally allowed him to have a late breakfast of Fruit Loops and a biscuit. He ate pretty well.
He was really getting impatient with being in the bed, but I finally tried to get the video games working. I found Lego Star Wars and he was set for the rest of the day. He played video games while I read my book and rested.
Mom, Dad and Ryann came for lunch and then dad took Ryann home while mom stayed to keep me company. They finally cleared him to go home by around 4:30. He was so ready to go!
It's never fun having a child in the hospital, but Levine was an awesome place to be if you had to. The staff was awesome with Judson and very eager to help with anything we needed. I'm so glad he's feeling better and that all of his blood work came back with good results. I was a little worried with Todd being diabetic that is fluctuating blood-sugar levels were more serious, but I called and got results of the more accurate test and everything is normal. He's a healthy boy!

No comments: